Welcome!


The journey of a Christian wife, stay-at-home mom, quasi-tree-hugger, and cheapskate to find ways to "CHanGE" her life to be Cheaper, Healthier, Greener, and Easier. Constructive feedback always welcome!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Cheaper: My trip to Publix today

Total worth of groceries: $41.31
My cost out of pocket: $17.45
Percent savings: 58%

Publix is one of those grocery stores where you can score some really, really good deals on items due to their Buy One Get One sales as well as their relatively inclusive coupon policy, such as accepting competitor's coupons (Kroger and Target in the case of the Publix closest to my house). If you shop correctly, it's much cheaper to go there than it is to a place like Wal-Mart. A lot of people can save even more than I can, but keep in mind that 1) I'm trying to avoid a fair deal of processed food and get Healthier options, and 2) right now, I'm only shopping pretty much for myself and Dot as Huz is overseas, so I don't need to stock up on a ton of things.

Here is the breakdown of what I bought, ranging from best deals to not as great:

- Idahoan Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Garlic, 4 oz package, FREE
($1.33 regular price, on sale BOGO, coupon for a free package thanks to a Kroger Catalina)
- Publix jumbo meat franks, $0.01
($2.49 regular price, today's Penny Item)
- New York Lite Texas Toast, 2 boxes, $0.60
($2.39 each regular price, 50% off sale, $0.50 and $0.40 coupons that both doubled)
- Smart Balance milk, 2 half-gallons, $2.00
($3.99 each regular price, on sale for $2.50 each, 2 $1.50 coupons)
- Publix Bran Flakes, 2 boxes, $1.42
($1.71 each regular price, 2 $1.00 coupons for any Publix cereal)
- Cool Mint Listerine, 2 1-liter bottles, $5.98
($4.87 each regular price, on sale for $3.99 each, 2 $0.50 coupons that doubled. Both also came with free samples of Listerine Total Care Whitening Mouthwash)
- Publix Classic Salad, $1.59
($1.99 regular price, $0.40 Kroger coupon for any store-brand salad)
- Pepperidge Farm Goldfish, 6.6 oz bag, $1.67
($2.39 regular price, on sale)
- Publix Canned Pumpkin, $1.79
- Publix Great Northern Beans, 2 lbs, $3.49 (Not a good price, by the way; these are much cheaper at Kroger. See below for explanation as to why I bought them here.)

I also had an overall $3 off $30 or more purchase Publix coupon that I printed from their Facebook page. This is actually a letdown because I've been getting $5 off $30 coupons in the mail just about every week. Oh well, better than nothing.

I brought in 4 cloth bags full of groceries from my car. For $17.45.

I have to give credit where credit is due, though. Every Monday, I check I Heart Publix to see what the next week's deals (running from Wednesday - Tuesday) and coupon matchups will be, then use the listing and my coupons to compile my list. I also have them linked in the right-hand margin. And yeah, I do get a few non-sale items as well if I have one of those "discount off total order" coupons and am struggling to reach that $30 mark (things I need, don't worry). That's why I got the canned pumpkin and bag of beans there today, and got 2 boxes of cereal when I really only needed one.

Give it a shot--you might be surprised how much you can save!

No comments:

Post a Comment